Hoover Recreation Center & Parks
No matter what your age or stage of life, the Hoover Recreation Center has something for you. Located at 600 Municipal Drive, between Highway 31 and Lorna Road, the center offers programs and activities designed to keep the whole family involved in lifelong learning and fitness.
Programs include child care, team sports (children and adults), and specialty classes including courses in dance, foreign languages, arts, crafts, computer skills, and personal image. Therapeutic opportunities for preschoolers through adults are also available.
One of the most popular programs at the center is the Hoover Recreation Teen Board. Comprised of 20 teens living in or attending school in Hoover, the Teen Board plans and hosts events for teens.At least five events take place each year. Members of the Teen Board, selected through an application and interview process, serve for one or more years.
A qualified and friendly staff serves the center's 7,000 Hoover-resident members. Their efforts not only ensure patrons an enjoyable and safe experience but the success of the center's many programs as well.
Following is a list of Recreation Center amenities:
- Fitness center
- Personalized fitness instruction
- Indoor pool
- Indoor track
- Locker/shower facilities
- Changing room
- Child care facilities
- Racquetball court
- Arts and crafts room
- Meeting rooms with kitchen
Membership is limited to Hoover residents and is available by the following classifications:
- General (track, gameroom, Recreation Center admission): $25 per year per member, underage 50.
- Senior General (track, gameroom, Recreation Center admission): $5 per year, per member, age 50 and over.
- Full (all areas of the Recreation Center with aerobics included; swim lessons excluded):
- $240 Single;
- $360 Household (includes two adults and any children who are dependants of one of the adults, under the age of 23 and whose permanent residence is with those adults);
- $100 per additional adult (age 50 and under) to the household membership beyond the allotted two adults;
- $75 per additional senior adult (age 50 and over) to the household membership beyond the allotted two adults;
- $180 Senior Single (age 50 and over);
- $240 Senior Household (includes two adults with one being over age 50 and any dependant children of one of the adults who is under the age of 23 and whose permanent residence is with those adults):
- $240 Class Pass (allows non-Hoover residents to participate in certain fee-based classes, excluding swim lessons):
- $25 per year, per non-resident.
For information about the Hoover Recreation Center or about Hoover Parks and Recreation facilities and programs in general, call 444-7777.
HOOVER BIRD WATCHING
The City of Hoover website has the new Bird watching brochure available in pdf format.
Whether you need a place to stage a family reunion, softball tournament, or meeting, or just simply need a peaceful place to rest while the kids play, one of the Hoover Parks facilities could be the solution. Check out these facilities:
Birchtree Tennis Court
3583 Burnt Leaf Lane
Amenities: Six lighted tennis courts, pavilion, lockers.
Bluff Park Community Center
517 Cloudland Drive
Amenities: Large meeting room, kitchen, restrooms, parking, playground, gazebo.
Georgetown Lake Park
Amenities: Three-acre lake, track playground, 2 gazebos.
Hoover Sports Park Central
3468 Chapel Lane
Amenities: Seven lighted baseballlsoftballfields, track, playground, concession stand, restrooms, press boxes, football/soccer field, parking.
Hoover Sports Park East
Old Rocky Ridge Road
Amenities: Softball, baseball, soccer, and football fields; gazebo, playground equipment.
Hoover Sports Park West
1211 Al Seier Road
Amenities: Nine lighted baseballlsoftballfwlds, playground, track, concession stand, press boxes, restrooms, BBQ pavilion, parking.
Next to Inverness Fire Station
Amenities: Playground equipment, neighborhood park.
Howard Lake House
300 Municipal Drive
Amenities: Three-acre lake, lighted track, playground, pavilion, parking, rentalfacility with kitchen.
2000 Wildflower Drive
Amenities: Playground, athleticfield, track, outdoor basketball, restrooms, parking.
Riverchase Sports Park
203 Parkway River Road
Amenities: Four lighted soccerfields, pavilion, restrooms, parking.
Russet Wood Park
105 Top'O Tree Lane
Amenities: Neighborhood park with playground.
301 Thornton Drive
Amenities: Playground, four lighted tennis courts, parking.
Spain Park Sports Complex
4710 Valleydale Road
Amenities: Two lighted, adult softball fields, two 15-18 year old age group lighted baseballfields;, concessions and restroom facilities.
Star Lake Drive
Amenities: Lake, picnic tables, walking, jogging track.
Trace Crossings Athletic Fields
5454 Learning Lane
Amenities: Two lighted softballl / baseball fields